Special Topics


NREM students on field trip

Transferring Credits:


At UH-Manoa an evaluation of transfer credits is done after the student has been accepted for admission and has submitted the tuition deposit along with the statement of intention to enroll. In general, UH-Manoa accepts credits from institutions fully accredited by U.S. regional accrediting associations.

Grades and your GPA from previous institutions do not transfer to UH-Manoa. Although all qualified courses may be transferred from two-year colleges, UH-Manoa applies no more than 60 credits from two-year colleges outside the UH system toward meeting bachelor’s degree requirements.

Courses that do not have an equivalent at UH-Manoa may count as a foundation or diversification course, e.g. "Introductory Biology" taken at another university will likely transfer over with the designation DB, a diversification in biological sciences. Courses that do not meet these general guidelines may still be accepted as elective credits.

There are several things you can do to speed this process along:

  1. Upon acceptance to UH Manoa, contact NREM and send a copy of your college transcript(s) directly to NREM’s undergraduate advisor. An unofficial transcript is acceptable. An electronic copy sent as an email attachment is preferred, either copy-paste from an online record or scan of a paper transcript.
  2. Look for course equivalencies directly at the credit transfer search website.
  3. Obtain copies of syllabi and/or catalog descriptions of other courses, especially if they may be an appropriate substitute for a general education or NREM core course.

Course Substitutions

If you would like to substitute another course for one that is required for graduation, talk to your NREM advisor. The advisor will submit a Request for Course Substitution form for review by the CTAHR Academic and Student Affairs Office. Common reasons for substituting courses include:

  1. You would like to use course credits transferred from another university.
  2. You transferred majors and would like to substitute a course taken as part of the degree requirements of the previous major.
  3. You feel that another UH-Manoa course is substantially equivalent to the required course but is a better fit with your interest or specialization.
  4. It is unlikely that a transfer course will substitute for a 300-400 level NREM core or track requirement unless it:
    - articulates to the same UHM course, e.g., a soil science course equivalent to NREM 304, or
    - is substantially similar to the required course in both content and level, and is used by an environmental science major at the transferring college.

If you want to substitute for an upper division requirement, get a copy of the course syllabus and have it reviewed by a NREM advisor. Alternatively, the course might be used as a track elective if it’s relevant to a student’s specialization area. Get a good catalog description and/or syllabus to document course content and get your advisor’s approval.

Beyond Graduation

General Information

UH-Manoa Career Center: http://manoa.hawaii.edu/careercenter/
The Center for Career Development and Student Employment office provides career counseling; help and reviews of your resume, cover letters or personal portfolio; practice job interviews; provides job skills workshops; and of course hosts job recruitment fairs and interviews with outside employers. The office also has resources to help students find jobs or post-graduate internships and to prepare for graduate school.

Graduate School: https://manoa.hawaii.edu/graduate/
Obtaining a BS in NREM can prepare you for a variety of graduate programs in the natural, social, and environmental sciences. Likewise, our NREM graduate students come from a variety of undergraduate programs. To learn more about graduate school in general, visit the Student Career Services website (above). To learn about graduate school at UH-Manoa, visit the Graduate Division homepage: https://manoa.hawaii.edu/graduate/

Service Opportunities:
Some students may wish to supplement their NREM degree with experience in service opportunities that utilize their knowledge and skills to enhance their opportunities afterwards. Two popular options are listed below.

  • Americorps: www.americorps.gov
    AmeriCorps is a network of local, state, and national service programs that connects more than 70,000 Americans each year in intensive service to meet our country's critical needs in education, public safety, health, and the environment. Full-time members who complete their service earn a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of $4,725 to pay for college, graduate school, or to pay back qualified student loans. Members who serve part-time receive a partial Award. Some AmeriCorps members may also receive a modest living allowance during their term of service.
  • Peace Corps: www.peacecorps.gov
    The Peace Corps is a government-sponsored program to place individuals in foreign countries to provide services to local communities. Volunteers work in education, youth outreach, and community development; business development; agriculture and environment; health and HIV/AIDS; and information technology. Volunteers have the chance to learn a new language, live in another culture, and develop career and leadership skills. The Peace Corps experience can enhance long-term career prospects whether you want to work for a corporation, a nonprofit organization, or a government agency. The Peace Corps can even open doors to graduate school. Financial benefits include a deferment of student loans during service, a modest living allowance during service, and $6000 after service to support the transition back to life in the US.

What Are NREM Graduates Doing?

Since Spring 2004, NREM has graduated over 150 students with a BS degree. Their career paths have been as diverse as our student body. A summary of what our graduates are doing is listed below.

  • Graduate school. Approximately one-third of NREM graduates have gone on to graduate school, some right here at UH-Manoa in the Dept of Urban and Regional Planning, Tropical Plant and Soil Sciences, Botany, and even NREM.
  • Government service. Many students have gone to work for state or federal governments in forestry and wildlife, natural resources, and even for the United Nations. These include students who obtained employment after participating in the federal Student Pathways Program.
  • Non-profit. Some of our graduates are working for institutions that promote environmental education, awareness, and action.
  • For-profit. Other graduates are working in natural resources for golf courses, resorts, and landscape companies. Recent graduates in environmental areas have found jobs with engineering, consulting, and development companies.
  • Education. Although certification is required for public school teachers in most states, some of our NREM graduates are pursuing teaching at the K-12 level.

Staying in Touch

Keeping in touch with our graduates is the best way for us to assess the effectiveness of the NREM program and help our current students explore their own opportunities after graduation. Your UH email account will remain active for some time after you graduate, but we would appreciate having more permanent contact information from our graduates. When you graduate, please send a preferred e-mail, phone number, and permanent address to the NREM department so we can keep in touch.

Quick Links


Undergraduate Committee


Dr. Travis Idol
(Undergraduate Chair)

Office: Sherman 125
Phone: (808)956-7508
Fax: (808)956-6539
Email: nremadv@hawaii.edu


Dr. Mahealani Kaneshiro
Office: Sherman 226
Phone: (808) 956-6343
Fax: (808) 956-6539
Email: mykanesh@hawaii.edu


Dr. Tomoaki Miura
Office: Sherman 238/104
Phone : (808) 956-7333
Fax : (808) 956-6539
Email: tomoakim@hawaii.edu