Hauʻoli Mau Loa Foundation Graduate Assistantship Opportunities
Hauʻoli Mau Loa Foundation and the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Management (NREM) at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa (UHM) are pleased to announce the availability of graduate assistantships for local students dedicated to careers in natural resource management in the state of Hawaiʻi. Three assistantships will be awarded in the Spring semester each year for admission in the following Fall semester. Applications are due each year on January 1. These graduate assistantships are an important part of Hauʻoli Mau Loa Foundation’s Environmental Leadership Pathways initiative, which supports the development of the next generation of environmental leaders in Hawaiʻi.
Each assistantship comes with generous support for two years (2nd year pending satisfactory academic performance), including a Graduate Assistantship salary ($22,140/year plus fringe benefits), a full tuition remission, and $5,000 in professional development funds (books, fees, travel to local and national conferences, supplies, etc.).
The following eligibility criteria apply:
- Good academic standing (minimum GPA of 3.0 prior to and throughout the assistantship);
- From Hawaiʻi, as evidenced by graduating from a Hawaiʻi high school;
- Pursuing a MEM degree in NREM;
- Track record of supporting Hawaiʻi’s environment (e.g., internships, volunteer opportunities, etc.) and serving in a leadership capacity (academic, athletic, extracurricular, and/or professional); and
- Commitment to pursuing and attaining a long-term career in natural resource management in Hawaiʻi.
- Link to 2020 announcement
(1) If you are not currently an NREM graduate student, you must apply to the MEM program by the December 1, 2019 deadline by submitting: (i) all required application materials (note that some application materials should be sent directly to the UHM Graduate Admissions Office and others directly to NREM); and (ii) submit by January 1, 2020 an additional essay (2 pages, single spaced) clearly describing how you do/do not meet all eligibility criteria listed above (send essay to email@example.com with “HML Assistantship Application” in the subject line).
(2) Current NREM graduate students are eligible to apply if they will have completed <10 credit hours as of August 1, 2020. To apply, submit by January 1, 2020: (i) the additional essay described above; (ii) a letter of recommendation from your advisor; and (iii) transcripts (all in a single email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “HML Assistantship Application” in the subject line).
Please contact Dr. Creighton M. Litton with any questions regarding this opportunity (808-956-6004; email@example.com).