Printable PDF | Advising Syllabus | Student Success Checklist | Advising Tools & Resources
Mission Statement: The mission of the academic advising program is to provide an excellent and relevant student-centered learning environment which promotes the educational, career, and professional development of the student.
||Academic Advisor Responsibilities
- Be courteous & plan ahead (schedule appointments early & cancel or reschedule if necessary).
- Be an active participant in identifying your educational goal(s) & creating an academic plan.
- Come to academic appointments prepared with questions and/or other topics for discussion.
- Become knowledgeable of university procedures, policies, and deadlines.
- Monitor your academic progress by using advising tools such as STAR, the schedule of classes, and the university catalog.
- Read your hawaii.edu email and check your MyUH portal regularly for announcements and information.
- Accept responsibility for all your decisions and actions.
- Ensure you have access to knowledgeable and informed advisors who will cultivate a positive and respectful environment.
- Mentor you in defining & outlining an academic degree plan that supports your educational and life goals.
- Assist you with course scheduling, major requirements, accessing university resources; and understanding university requirements, policies and procedures.
- Teach you to utilize university resources (such as STAR) to become knowledgeable, empowered, and active participants in your academic journey.
Schedule online via Star Balance
Which appointment do I need?
|General Advising Appointment (30 min)
||Warning, Probation, and Suspension (60 min)
- For registration advising, mandatory advising, graduation checks, academic planning, and goal setting.
- Advisors can sign off on forms during appointment.
- Most appropriate appointment for continuing and new CTAHR students.
- For students who are on academic warning, probation, or in jeopardy of suspension.
- Advisors will work with students to discuss strategies to improve academic standing.
Which advisor do I meet with?
|CTAHR Academic Advisors assist with:
||CTAHR Faculty Mentors assist with:
- New student advising
- Academic degree planning and scheduling
- Registration assistance
- Degree advising/mandatory advising
- Graduation forms
- Signing of other academic related forms
- Information about scholarships, co-curricular, student service opportunities
- Career mentorship
- Internship information
- Research opportunities
- Graduate school information/advising
- Post-baccalaureate experience
- Articulation of transfer credits within department
- Letters of recommendation
- Selection and approval of courses within the major/specialization area
Student Success Checklist
Before each advising appointment, you should:
- Review your degree progress in STAR, Academic Essentials and prepare questions you may have (www.star.hawaii.edu)
- Be prepared to discuss your goals, educational plan, questions, and concerns during your appointment
- Gather any important forms that may be needed during the appointment (i.e. VA Enrollment, withdrawal, etc.)
- Use the resources listed below to develop a tentative schedule and your next steps or action items to be done.
- Review your address, phone number, and major in MyUH portal and update your information at the Records Office (www.myuh.hawaii.edu / 808-956-8010 / firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Review your degree progress in STAR, Academic Essentials (www.star.hawaii.edu)
- Make an appointment to meet with your advisor. Schedule appointments during February/March (for summer & fall registration that will begin in April) and September/October (for spring registration that will begin in November); and any time you need assistance!
- Check your financial aid status in MyUH portal and complete any outstanding requirements
- Review your academic and career goals and explore your options
- Check your hawaii.edu email account at least once a week
- Check campus bulletin boards and UHM website for upcoming events
Two semesters prior to final semester
- Approximately 24 – 30 credits remaining towards a degree, confirm all final degree requirements for your last year by doing a “preliminary degree check” with an academic advisor
One semester prior to final semester
- Schedule an appointment to complete a “Final Degree Check” with an academic advisor. Fill out the Application for Degree form and complete the CTAHR Graduation Survey
- Register for and attend graduation events (Convocation and Commencement)
Advising Tools & Resources
CTAHR Advising - http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/ugadvising
CTAHR Scholarships - https://cms.ctahr.hawaii.edu/Students/Scholarships
STAR for Students - https://www.star.hawaii.edu
MyUH Portal - https://myuh.hawaii.edu
Schedule of Classes - https://www.sis.hawaii.edu/uhdad/avail.classes?i=MAN
Financial Aid Office - https://manoa.hawaii.edu/fas/
Records Office - https://manoa.hawaii.edu/registrar/
Catalog - https://manoa.hawaii.edu/catalog/
Academic Calendar - https://manoa.hawaii.edu/registrar/academic-calendar/
Student Conduct Code - http://studentaffairs.manoa.hawaii.edu/policies/conduct_code/
Academic Grievance Process - http://studentaffairs.manoa.hawaii.edu/policies/academic_grievance/
Learning Assistance Center (Tutoring) - http://manoa.hawaii.edu/undergrad/learning/
Career Center - http://manoa.hawaii.edu/careercenter/
Counseling - http://manoa.hawaii.edu/counseling/
KOKUA Program (disability services) - http://www.hawaii.edu/kokua/
Student Life & Development - http://www.manoa.hawaii.edu/studentlife/
Study Abroad - http://www.studyabroad.hawaii.edu/
Questions? Email the CTAHR Advisors at email@example.com.