The HDFS program has two active student organizations, (1) Friends of the Family and (2) Phi Upsilon Omicron. We encourage you to join, as being a member of these organizations can help you to learn more about professional opportunities, gain leadership and collaboration skills, and network with professionals in the community. Both student organizations participate in numerous service projects and fundraising throughout the year.
(1) Friends of the Family
Friends of the Family is a student-led organization open to anyone who has an interest in families.
- To motivate college students in giving back to individuals and families through service in the local community
- To Build Resilient Individuals and Families in Hawai'i
- Volunteer our time to local organizations in Hawaii
- Provide opportunities to gain relevant knowledge and experience in the community
- Build connections between students, alumni, professionals, and the community at large
- Promote the Human Development and Family Studies (HDFS) Program
Who Can Join?
- Anyone and everyone! We encourage ALL MAJORS at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa to join. Submit an application below with your one-time fee (per semester) of $20 and your club t-shirt fee of $10 when you attend your first/second meeting or event with us. Membership fees are $10 for returning active members, $20 for new members, and $10 for a shirt (required for most events).
- Online membership application
SIGN UP for Upcomping Events
FOF Make-A-Wish Hawaii Fundraising
(2) Phi Upsilon Omicron
Phi Upsilon Omicron is a national honor society in Family and Consumer Sciences to which students who meet certain academic criteria may be invited.
Founded in 1910 at the University of Minnesota, Phi Upsilon Omicron is a National Honorary Society in Family and Consumer Sciences. Currently, there are about 60 collegiate chapters in the United States. The name of the honor society is taken from the initial letters of three Greek words that translate to “The light of the home.”
- To recognize and encourage academic excellence.
- To develop qualities of professional and personal leadership.
- To provide opportunities for service to the profession.
- To encourage professional and personal commitment in order to advance family and consumer sciences.
- To join Phi U, a student must:
- Be a HDFS or FDM major.
- Have at least a 3.2 cumulative GPA.
- A mandatory initiation is held during the third week of each January to welcome new members.
- There is a one-time dues of $70 which includes a subscription to The Candle, a quarterly national Phi U publication.
- Phi U is an active chapter. Examples of past activities include:
- Sponsoring an annual Pizza Bash for HDFS and FDM students and faculty to kick off the start of new academic year each September.
- Raising funds for our chapter’s $250 scholarship awarded each semester to a Phi U member.
- Doing at least one service project each semester such as participating in Make-A-Difference Day at the Salvation Army, planning arts and crafts at the Shriner’s Hospital for Children, and conducting a mini-carnival for seniors at the Kuakini Medical Center.
- Honoring our chapter’s graduating seniors with a banquet each semester as well as providing distinctive honor cords to be worn at graduation.
- Please contact Department of Family and Consumer Sciences faculty advisor Rick Caulfield for more information, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Office: Krauss Annex 5; Phone: 808-956-2247