What's my future in fashion?
As an FDM student, you will learn to:
- plan, develop, and merchandise apparel product lines and evaluate their quality;
- recognize the global impact of fashion trends on production and distribution of apparel;
- understand the role of dress and fashion in society; and
- master the tools needed for career positions in fashion industries and related fields.
FDM graduates have successful careers as fashion buyers, managers, visual merchandisers, business owners, textile and fashion designers, fashion forecasters, and costume curators. Strong academic backgrounds enable graduates to move into other fields including other businesses and education.
FDM alumni business and leadership roles:
- Fashion designers & apparel production managers: Kenneth Cole, Diesel, Quicksilver, Local Motion, Town & Country Surf
- Fashion buyers and retail executives: Macy’s, Gucci, Chanel, Neiman Marcus, Ferragamo, Hermes, Cartier, Tiffany, Pier 1 Imports, Sears, Gap Kids, Banana Republic
- Owners, Hawaii garment manufacturing
- companies and retail stores: Acid Dolls, You & Me Naturally, Puamana, Global Village
- Costume designers, stylists, model management, and wardrobe consultants for
- TV, film and advertising
- Fashion support services: Freelance visual merchandiser; President, Retail Merchants of Hawai‘i (trade association)