Got a Plant Question?
The UH Master Gardener program is an offical Volunteer program of the University of Hawaiʻi Cooperative Extension Service. We are dedicated to disseminating local, research based information to assist home gardeners in decisions that affect themselves, our neighbors and our local and global environment. So much information about gardening in Hawaiʻi is located in Tropical Topics. Enjoy exploring the wealth of information that we have to share with you.
If local information is not available on your subject, we are trained to find research based information and other reliable sources of information, so please contact us with your questions.
Thank you for contacting us with your questions! We believe that no questions are the worst questions. With so much beauty and diversity in Hawaiʻi, we have a BIG responsibility to have the right tools and correct information to protect our environment and we want to help your garden thrive.
Submit a question through E-mail to: OahuMG@hawaii.edu
Phone: Helpline desk on Wed morning, 808-453-6055
Important information to include is the name of your plant, the symptoms that you are observing, the environmental growing conditions, along with the location where it grows. We love pictures! If you are sending a picture through email, please include a close-up of the problem area as well as a picture of the entire plant. This will help us diagnose your problem or identify your insect.
Oʻahu Gardening Questions
Find Us to talk story about your garden or submit a MG Helpline Intake Sheet or insect sample at your local Farmers Market or the Helpline locations listed below. Event Dates:
- Helpline on Wednesdays, 9 am to Noon at the Urban Garden Center
- Helpline on first Thursday of the month, 9:30 am to Noon at Hale Tuahine (across Manoa Market Place)
- Nov 25, 2023 - Kapiolani Community College Farmer's Market
- Nov 18, 2023 - Ho'opili Urban Garden Learning Fair, 8 - 10:30 am
- Oct 21, 2023 - Discover UH Mānoa Open House, 10 am - 2pm
- Oct 14, 2023 - UGC Second Saturday at the Garden, 9 - 11:30 am
- Sept 30, 2023 - Friends of Honolulu Botanical Gardens Plant Sale
- Sept 28, 2023 - Kahaluu Community Center 10 - 11:30 am
- Sept 23, 2023 - Nanakuli Library, 1:30 pm
- Aug 5, 2023 - Annual Halawa Xeriscape Garden Unthirsty Plant Sale, 9 - 12:00 pm
- July 29, 2023 - KCC Farmer's Market, 8 - 11:00 am
- May 27, 2023 - KCC Farmer's Market, 8 - 11:00 am
- April 21, 2023 - Kaiser High School Earth Fest, 4-7 pm
- April 8, 2023 - Urban Garden Center, 9 - 11:00 am
- Feb. 11, 2023 - Urban Garden Center, 9 - 11:30 am
- Dec. 17, 2022 - Honolulu Maker's Market Bloom Garden and Art Festival, 10 am - 4 pm
- Nov. 27, 2022 - Farm Lovers Market, Kailua Town
- Nov. 19, 2022 - Honolulu Maker's Market Bloom Garden and Art Festival, 10 am - 4 pm.
- Nov. 13, 2022 - Waimea Valley Banana Festival
- Nov. 5, 2022 - Plant Fair at Soto Mission of Aiea-Taiheiji, 9 am - 2 pm.
- Nov. 5, 2022 - Arbor Day Kailua at the Kailua United Methodist Church at 1110 Kailua Road, 9 am - Noon.
You can also Find Us to talk story about your garden or submit a plant or insect sample at Second Saturday at the Garden! program on the 2nd Saturday.
Like the Oʻahu Master Gardeners Facebook page
To be notified for the Spring 2024 Master Gardener class, complete this form: MG course notification form
We are trying to grow our volunteer program and we invite you to join us. The UH Master Gardener Program on O'ahu hosts its introductory training class every Friday (except holidays), 9AM -1PM from February – May. Please click on the link below to view our MG course invitation to apply and read through our program requirements. This program depends on your volunteer commitment. If accepted into the program as a volunteer of the University of Hawai‘i Master Gardener Program, you will sign a contract with us to fulfill 50 volunteer hours within the first year of completing the training course (June 2024-May 2025).
Visit us at your local Farmers Market!
Bring your home gardener question to our “Got a Plant Question” Booth at your local farmers market! Purchase UH Vegetable Seeds for your home garden!
Tips: When bringing plant samples with suspected plant disease be sure to bring new leaves AND old leaves, include flowers or fruits that show symptoms. Dead leaves or rotting fruit does not allow us to see all the symptoms of the problem! Pictures of the garden or plants showing stress is encouraged! Please read here for more information: Collecting Plant Disease and Insect Pest Samples for Problem Diagnosis.
- Kapiolani Community College Farmers Market, last Saturday of the month (every other month) - November 2023
- Kailua Town, Farm Lovers Market (dates vary)
Oʻahu Master Gardeners are reaching out to home gardeners, school garden educators, elementary school students, and plant industry professionals! Click the links below to find out more!
Do you have a request for a Gardening Presentation for your local organization taught by a UH Master Gardener? Please request at least 1 month in advance via our on-line form.
- Email email@example.com for a speaker request
Annual Events where you can find “Got a Plant Question” Master Gardener booths