Volume 11: March | April | May 2012

  • 2 August 2016
  • Author: Moore
  • Number of views: 1568

In This Issue:

For the full issue, please CLICK HERE

It's Hot in Hawai'i: Capsaicin Content of Hawaii-grown Chili Peppers
Farmers Can Help our Hawaiian Hoary Bats
Sheep and Goat Basics for Hawaii
Cover Crops as Insectary Plants to Enhance Above and Below Ground Beneficial Organisms
Ecosystem Services from Trees in Coffee Agroecosystems
The Hawaii Public Seed Initiative
Growing Your Business: Evaluating Sustainability in Agriculture

Featured Farmer:
Lani & Bill Petrie; Glen Krebs
Kapapala Ranch, Ka'u, Hawai‘i

Growing area: 34,000 acres
Years farming in Hawai'i: 35 years
Crops: primarily cattle (cow-calf), also meat goats
Fertility management: approximately 15% of the total acreage has soil, or moisture retaining capabilities which we manage intensely. The remaining 85% is run as an extensive “open range” operation
Pest management: goats clear most of the brush
What Sustainability Means to You: Family is vital to our sustainability, and my husband, Bill, is irreplaceable and so are the three immediate families that participate in the operation day to day. Sustainability comes also from working closely with your industry and industry organizations.

Read the full article here

Hot Tip from Kapapala Ranch
--Run your business on accrual accounting; have income and expenses measured in windows of time.
--Identify enterprises within your business and associate the costs and income to each.
--Always give more than you take. Give to your family, your neighbors, your duties to your business, your community, and you will be greatly satisfied with the job you have been put on earth to do.
--"Your profession is not what brings home your paycheck. Your profession is what you’re put here on earth to do with such passion and such intensity that it becomes spiritual in calling."-Vincent van Gogh (1853-1890)

Categories: Uncategorized