Saturday, December 16, 2017
University of Hawaii at Manoa
University of Hawaii System
College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Tropical Plant Pathology
Graduate Student Handbook

Departmental Services

Our department, college and university have many services which are available for your official business. These include secretarial services, a photocopier, state vehicles, telephones, office supplies, computers, audio-visual aids, and mail services. You must limit your use of these services to activities which are directly related to your research project. Any abuse of these services is a serious offense and could result in being expelled from the university.


You will need keys to enter most buildings after hours and on weekends. Most students will be assigned keys to open St. John, St. John 300, and the laboratory in which they work. These and other needed keys may be obtained through the secretary in St. John 307.


Each student will be assigned desk and bookshelves in the graduate student office (St. John 300). Upon arrival in the department, you may request a desk assignment from the graduate chair or Graduate Student Organization (GSO) Chair. The GSO will then assign a desk for you to use. Advisors will often assign desk space in their respective laboratories to a student.

Email and Mail

Your UH Username is your electronic key to gaining access to the university's online services like email, Internet access, registration for classes, and various other services. You may request your UH Username online from the UH Account Management page by clicking on the "Get a UH Username!" link. Your account should be ready within six minutes. Most services, such as MyUH, will be available to you once your account is created. Your UH Email Account ( will be available for use after fifteen 15 minutes. You will need to provide the following information to apply for an account:

After you have completed the form, use the Continue button to submit your request. The online request system will check the Account Management database for your full legal name and the information above. If your information is found within the Account Management database, you will be asked to create a password for your UH Username. You need to select two questions and furnish the answers for these two questions. In the future, these two questions will allow you to reset your password online.

Upon arrival in the department, you will be assigned a mailbox, located in St. John 305, where your post office mail and announcements are placed. Names are arranged alphabetically in groups of faculty, staff, and students. Campus and U.S. mail will be delivered here. Campus mail is to be used for business correspondence within campus. Place your business mail in the office box marked metered mail for it to be marked with postage. Clearly mark any special instructions on the envelop to avoid having the mail return because of insufficient postage. The staff will be glad to explain the mail system.

Secretarial Services

The departmental secretary is available to type official documents which are required by the department. Official documents include but are not limited to reports and publications. When making a request to the secretary, please have it in their box(es) soon enough to allow it to be completed in a timely fashion. Students are responsible for typing or processing their thesis/dissertation.


The photocopier is available for student use but is limited to activates related to your thesis research. You are not allowed to copy books or to copy personal documents. Please avoid violation of copyright laws by using the photocopy machine.

State Vehicles

Cars, trucks, and vans may be leased from the University Transportation Services. These vehicles may be used for research. Permission to lease a vehicle is obtained through your academic advisor. Vehicle reservations are made by calling the Transportation Services (68875). Please reserve a vehicle as far in advance as possible; numbers of rental vehicles available are limited and may de difficult to reserve at times. Vehicles available for leasing include sedans, pick-up trucks, utility vehicles, and vans.


Telephones are available for research and academic use. Calls within campus may be placed by dialing the last five digits of the phone number, i.e. 6-xxxx. Local calls (those off-campus but on Oahu) may be placed by dialing 9 + the 8 digit number. Long distance calls, calls to neighbor islands, and calls to the U.S. mainland or international destinations, may be placed only from telephones which are authorized for long distance calls. Permission for student long distance calls may be obtained from your academic advisor.

Facsimile Machine

A facsimile machine is available to send and receive messages. Our FAX number is 956-2832. Calls are recorded in the log book located next to the FAX machine, and should be charged to a Department account. Therefore, students should obtain advisor’s permission before using the FAX machine. Local facsimiles do not require an account number, only approval form your academic advisor.

Office Supplies

General office supplies are available for research related activities. Writing tablets, pencils, pens, and folders, etc. are located in cabinets in St. John 305. Please see the secretary if you are unable to locate the supplies.

Audio Visual Aids

Audio/visual aids are available for academic and research use. A Video Cassette Recorder and television are available for use in the teaching laboratory, St. John 302. A slide projector and laptop computer can be checked out from St. John 313. Similar equipment is available for use in Gilmore. A polycom system is available for use in Gilmore as well. Overhead projectors are also available. These may be signed out by checking with the secretary.


Students must order all research related supplies through your advisor/laboratory. Each laboratory has a system for purchasing supplies and these can differ from laboratory to laboratory. We use P-cards, purchase orders, and reimbursements for supplies. Have your advisor explain the ordering system in your laboratory as soon as you arrive and begin work.

Computing Services

The University of Hawaii Information Technology Services (ITS) provides services across the broad range of computing and communications technologies that support learning, teaching, research, public services and administration. Information technology support is available to faculty, staff and students of the UH system.

ITS provides your UH Username. Your UH Username is your electronic key to gaining access to the university's online services such as computer labs, a web mail service, Help Desk, MyUH (access to class registration and transcripts), Laulima (a web-based course site), a personal home page, site licensing and discount agreements, software and hardware information, a Unix shell, and information on wireless access on the campus.

Personal computers are available in most of the departmental laboratories and in the graduate student office (St. John 300) in addition to the personal computers available elsewhere on campus. Various software programs are available on the machines. Rules governing the use of these computers are simple in that we ask you to be considerate of fellow users. If it becomes necessary to limit use on the machines, a time sheet for use may be posted.

Library Services

Departmental Library

We maintain a departmental library in St. John 300. Our departmental library contains a complete set of Plant Disease Reporter/Plant Disease and Phytopathology. Recent issues of the journal Science are also found in the library. All graduate student theses and dissertations are housed in our library as well. Various forms of literature, bulletins and newsletters received by the department may be found in the library in addition to the books.

Campus Library

UH Manoa’s libraries offer resources, services, and expertise to facilitate the inquiry, discovery, and exchange of information. Library collections include over three million volumes together with microform units, digital files, manuscripts and archives, audiovisual materials, maps and aerial photographs, and current journals and serial titles in paper and electronic formats. Most electronic resources to which the Library subscribes are RESTRICTED to University of Hawaii at Manoa students, faculty, and staff to comply with licensing agreements. Many free resources are also available: please refer to the Library Help Page for more information. Many tools are available only in paper format. To locate a specific book, print journal, newspaper or government publication that the Library owns, search the Hawai'i Voyager Library Catalog. Ask a librarian for assistance in identifying additional tools related to your research topic.

Program Goals

  • Students communicate effectively
  • Students are competent and knowledgeable biologists
  • Students conduct research in plant pathology


Facilities - PEPS

Facilities - Non Department


Advisory Committee

Thesis and Dissertation


Research Assistant Policies

E komo mai | Welcome   |   Directory   |   Research   |   Academics   |   Extension & Outreach
The University of Hawai‘i is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution.