Friday, April 20, 2018
University of Hawaii at Manoa
University of Hawaii System
College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Graduate Studies at PEPS - Entomology
Aloha! E Komo Mai!

MS and PhD degrees in Entomology

MS and PhD degrees are offered in the entomology program. Students undertaking graduate study will conduct independent research with an advisor from the Entomology Graduate Faculty engage in diverse areas of research.  Thesis and dissertation research can be selected from any of these subject areas. As part of the graduate program students take courses in biological control of insect pests and weed, insect ecology, insect physiology, insect transmission of plant pathogens, systematics and phylogenetics and various special topics in genomics, conservation and pest management. 

Students applying for graduate programs in entomology are expected to have acquired a bachelor's degree with credit hours in entomology and biology, including general biology, general entomology, integrated pest management; one year of chemistry; and an appropriate course in mathematics and/or statistics. Deficiencies in undergraduate preparation can be satisfied during the graduate program.

To apply for the graduate program in Entomology a student must:

1. complete and submit the University Graduate Student application

2. complete the Graduate Record Examination and any English language proficiency examinations required by the University and arrange for the scores to be submitted to the University

3. prepare a statement of objectives that describes the goals for and interests in entomology. 

4. arrange for three confidential letters of reference 

5. identify an advisor from the Entomology Graduate Faculty

In order for an applicant to be accepted into the graduate program, a faculty member must be willing and available to serve as the student's Advisor.

The statement of objectives and three confidential letters of reference should be sent directly to the graduate program chair.  

Entomology graduate degree programs

The MS and PhD degrees in entomology are recognized by the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) regional graduate programs. Residents of Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming are eligible, upon admission, to enroll at Hawai'i-resident tuition rates.

Graduate Program Chair: Mark G. Wright

Quick Links

Graduate Chair

Mark G. Wright

Office: Gilmore 511A

Phone: (808) 956-7670

Fax: (808) 956-2428

If you require information in an alternative format, please contact us at:

E komo mai | Welcome   |   Directory   |   Research   |   Extension & Outreach   |   Academics
The University of Hawai‘i is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution.