Growing up in Northern Virginia, Monica Esquivel didn't have many opportunities to enjoy Filipino food. So her mom made it a point to have Filipino food at their holiday celebrations every year.
"Since we didn't have Filipino food very often, it became something of a tradition to look forward to – and a way to feel connected to our family in the Philippines,” says Monica, a dietetics professor in the Dept. of Human Nutrition Food and Animal Sciences.
Enjoy this holiday recipe from the Esquivel family!
- 1 8 oz package of thin rice noodles, soaked in water until soft
- 1/4 onion, sliced
- 2 T garlic
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 3 cups sliced vegetables—carrot, cabbage, broccoli, snap peas
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Soy sauce and patis (fish sauce) to taste
- Additional soy sauce and lemon slices for serving
- Preheat wok to medium-high heat.
- Soak rice noodles in water until soft.
- Heat oil in wok, add garlic and onion, saute until soft.
- Add vegetables to wok and cook until tender.
- Drain rice noodles and toss into wok with vegetables. Season with black pepper, soy sauce, and patis to desired flavor. Cook until heated through.
- Serve with soy sauce and lemon slices.